What is a crown?
A crown, which is sometimes called a cap, is a dental restoration used to repair a tooth that has suffered extensive decay or damage. Dental crowns can be used for both aesthetic and restorative purposes, and each restoration is custom made to precisely fit your smile. The crown is designed to entirely cover the tooth, starting at the gum line, in order to improve the function, health, and appearance of the tooth. With a dental crown, we are able to restore the shape, size, and strength of the tooth. A dental crown in Ann Arbor, Michigan, can be made from several types of materials, including porcelain, gold, or porcelain fused to metal. Our dentist will help you determine which type of crown is best suited to your personal needs and desires.
Do I need a crown?
Crowns are very versatile and may be recommended for a number of reasons. Dr. Alberto A. Herrero may recommend a crown to:
- Protect a tooth following root canal treatment
- Restore a tooth that is seriously decayed or damaged
- Cover a dental implant
- Strengthen a fractured or weakened tooth
- Attach a dental bridge
- Improve the appearance and functionality of a misshapen tooth
- Support a large filling when little tooth structure is left
- Enhance the aesthetics of a severely darkened or stained tooth
To find out if a dental crown is right for your smile, we welcome you to contact us today!