Improving your oral health includes making sure that you are taking the necessary steps in all aspects of your life. If you are suffering from the cold and the flu, not only will you be at an increased risk for several oral health ailments, but you will also find yourself caring less about your smile. Even if you are extremely tired and weak, it is important to maintain effective oral health care while you are sick. Here are some tips to remember:
– If you are sick, always make sure you stay hydrated, so you can continue to wash out any debris in your mouth. Similarly, avoid foods or medications that lead to dry mouth.
– Make sure to live a sugar-free life while you are sick. This includes avoiding drinking sugar-free substances such as sodas.
– Even if you are sick, it is important to continue caring for your teeth and gums by brushing and flossing every day.
– Due to the risks associated with cross-contamination, never use someone else’s toothbrush and never share your toothbrush. In some situations, it may even be beneficial to replace your toothbrush after you’ve been sick.
– Exercise caution when using healthcare products such as cough drops. Not only can cough drops easily chip and crack your teeth, but they have also been shown to be loaded with sugars which can cause dental erosion.
-If you find yourself throwing up, never brush immediately afterward, as your teeth will often be sensitive and prone to dental abrasion. Instead, use sugarless chewing gum or mouthwash.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for oral health care treatments with Dr. Alberto A. Herrero and our team at Alberto A. Herrero, DDS, please call 734-222-9140 to stop by our dentist office in Ann Arbor, Michigan.