With Valentine’s Day close at hand, let us take this opportunity to remind ourselves once again to practice moderation in all that we do. Our teeth and gums are fairly precious and can easily be damaged by a single accident or over time from long-term abuse and improper oral hygiene.
Don’t let cavities or worse set your smile back this year. Here are some sweet tips to avoid those not-so-sweet treats:
– Avoid sugary snacks: Sugary-sweet drinks and treats can increase your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
– Avoid oral accidents: Watch out for oversized chocolate bars or hard candies as they may chip or crack your teeth. When it comes to sweets, never bite off more than you can chew.
– Choose sweets carefully: Replace chewy, sour, and hard candies with better options such as chocolate or sugarless gum. Look for sugarless gum with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Make a plan: If you prepare in advance for your oral health care, you are less likely to suffer setbacks or overindulge on days of celebration or merrymaking.
– Schedule a visit: Always set aside time each year for oral exams and professional cleanings from our dentists at Alberto A. Herrero, DDS at our office in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Your oral health care should remain an integral part of your lifestyle all year long. For special occasions, such as Valentine’s Day, extra care and attention should be given to your teeth and gums. If you would like to set up an appointment with Dr. Alberto A. Herrero, please call our office at 734-222-9140. We make smiles brighter!