Do you have discomfort when biting into your food or drinking a hot or cold beverage? You may have sensitive teeth and here at Alberto A. Herrero, DDS, we want to help you treat them. Each treatment depends on the cause. There are multiple treatments to choose from that your dentist may help to alleviate discomfort.
– Desensitizing toothpaste contains compounds to prevent the transmission of sensation from the tooth’s surface to the nerve. This usually requires multiple applications before your sensitivity decreases.
– Fluoride gel is used in the office to strengthen enamel and, like desensitizing toothpaste, prevent the sensation transmission to the nerve.
– To correct decay or a flaw in the tooth, a crown, inlay or bonding may be placed. These all involve the placing of a material to correct the issue and relieve your discomfort.
– Surgical gum grafts are used when the gum tissue is lost from the root. This reduces sensitivity while protecting the root.
– A root canal is typically the last resort to treating tooth sensitivity if it is persistent. Your pulp containing nerves and tissue is removed, cleaned, and sealed. Your dentist may suggest this as a solution to your discomfort.
Some possible causes may include worn tooth enamel or fillings, decay (cavities), gum disease, or exposed tooth root.
Preventing sensitivity to the teeth can be done with proper oral care, and we are happy to provide any information related to the care and treatment of your teeth here at Alberto A. Herrero, DDS. Give us a call at 734-222-9140 here in Ann Arbor, Michigan and we will be happy to answer your questions concerning your dental care.